Many sales and presales teams struggle to determine who should do what discovery with their prospects. Here’s a simple strategy: Use Great Demo! Situation Slides as the target for discovery (and a “Demo Qualified Lead”), and split the responsibility in accord with your strengths.
There are 6 elements to a Great Demo! Situation Slide, which can be divided as follows:
- Job Title / Industry: Sales should identify the target person or people.
- Critical Business Issue: Sales should determine the Critical Business Issue for the target individual(s).
- Problem / Reasons: This is where discovery collaboration between sales and presales should typically begin: Sales should be able to determine some of the pain points, generally more business oriented; presales may also contribute pain points, generally more technically
- Specific Capabilities: Presales should complete this section, which also provides presales practitioners the information they need to prepare a focused demo (a Great Demo!).
- Delta (the value): Again, sales should uncover business related value elements and presales can contribute technically related value components.
- Critical Date: Finally, uncovering a Critical Date should be sales’ responsibility (but presales may be able to assist).
Doing Discovery is a team sport!
Bonus! Completing these 6 Situation Slide elements will help you to avoid the dreaded No Decision outcomes as well!