NEWS & EVENTS
Seven Skills Levels for Stunningly Successful Discovery – Webinar – April 22
April 22 at 9:00 AM PDT. You can register here.
Many sales and presales practitioners say they are skilled at doing Discovery – but are they? Where are you on this progression?
We’ll discuss a simple method to assess, based on six levels of increasing proficiency, culminating in a seventh level – an integrated Discovery Methodology:
– Level 1: Uncovers statements of pain.
– Level 2: Uncovers pain and explores more deeply.
– Level 3: Uncovers pain, explores deeply, broadens the pain and investigates the impact.
– Level 4: Uncovers pain, explores and broadens, investigates impact and quantifies.
– Level 5: Uncovers pain, explores and broadens, investigates impact, quantifies and reengineers vision.
– Level 6: Applies these skills to the broad range of customers represented across the Technology Adoption Curve, including “burn victims”, disruptive and new product categories, highly transactional sales cycles, and other scenarios.
– Level 7: Integrates and aligns the skills above into a cohesive Discovery methodology.
We’ll explore these and the impact on your sales, renewals, and expansion processes. Looking forward to your participation…!
“The Second Kingdom of Sales Engineering”
Patrick Pissang has published a delightful Tolkien-like map of the presales world, along a listing of vendors serving the presales space here. Here are a few additional locations that we’ve suggested:
– The Devastating Desert of Deficient Discovery
– The Ocean of Overviews
– The Pinnacles of Process
– The Mighty Mountains of Methodology
– The Plains of Profound Platitudes
– The Depths of Disingenuity
– The Caverns of Commercialized Collectives
– The Swamps of Lost Skills
– The Fountain of Forgotten Frameworks
– The Hopeful Forecast Hills
– The Terrible Tsunamis of Dreadful Demos
– The River of Lost Opportunities
– The Pockmarked Prairies of POCs
– The Well of Lost RFP Souls
– The Stunning Savanah of Seldom Speaker Switches
– The False Summits of Self-Proclaimed Mastery
– The Basin of BDRs (adjacent to the SDR Seas)
– The Happy Ears of Echo Canyon
– The Foggy Bottoms of BANT
– The Dangerous Quicksands of Qualification
– The Horrible Hundred-Slide Hills (aka the Presentation Badlands)
– The Frightening and Fearsome Forests of Feature-Function
– The Boundless Ocean of Optimism (adjacent to the Depths of Despair)
– The Abrupt Cliffs of Silent Customers (aka Cricket Cliffs)
– The Raging Rapids of Zippy Mice
– The Treacherous Trails of Techno-speak
– The Disconformity of Day-in-the-Life
– Storytelling Synclines
– Competition Caldera
– Objection Overlook
– The Lost-in-the-Weeds Labyrinth
– Team Tactics Talus (aka Slopes of Screaming Scree)
– The Training Mode Tectonic Plate and the Setup Mode Shear Zone
– Precambrian Practitioners
– Coprolites of Ancient Sales Methodologies
– The Eerie Jungle of the Zoom Gallery
– The Chasm of Dropped Connections
– The Mute Moraine
– The Island Arc of Implementation
– Expansion Gorge and Renewal Rocks
– The Channel Tributaries and the River of Resellers
– Analogy Aquafer
– Metaphor Mélange
– Value Valley
– The Golden Road of Unending Education
– And, of course, the Gemstones of Great Demos!
Your additions are welcomed…!
The Ignition Demo: A Conversation with Peter Cohan – Podcast
Peter Cohan joined Randy Frank of Navattic to explore the “Ignition Demo”, the spark needed to engage early stage prospects in the buying journey.
We discussed the risks of ignoring today’s “just browsing” prospects (who become tomorrow’s buyers) and the challenges of traditional “overview” demos for those who are “just browsing”. We also explored how to move the sales and buying processes forward (by a full step!) through the use of Ignition Demos, employing either human or tech touches.
Webinar Recording: Demos as a Team Sport – The Roles of Sales and Presales in Great Demos
Preparing and delivering demos should be perceived as a “team sport” when two or more people are involved on the vendor’s side. The days of “…and heeeeere’s my Demo Monkey…!” should thankfully be over (we hope!). But what are the right roles for sales and presales in demo preparation and presentation? Peter Cohan joined Demoflow’s Larson Stair for this discussion of pragmatics, best (and worst) practices, and some potentially surprising recommendations – along with an exploration of how Demoflow specifically supports a team approach to demos.
You can find the recording here. Enjoy!
It’s QBR Season…!
Include a session on improving your team’s demonstration skills at your upcoming QBR meeting. Insightful, interactive and thought-provoking sessions range from 20 minutes to several hours – you can choose from a range of topics, including:
- Doing (and Improving) Discovery
- Renewal and Expansion Demos
- Storytelling in Demos
- Vision Generation Demos
- POCs, POVs and Sandboxes
- The Perfect Demo Environment
- Great Demo! Book Club Mini-Workshop
- And, of course, Great Demo! Fundamentals
Additionally, including a Great Demo! Workshop as part of your overall plan is a terrific way to upskill your team and get prepared for a delightfully successful 2021.
Great Demo! Virtual Training and Coaching Options
With the continuing COVID-19 pandemic, travel and face-to-face meetings have stopped are being curtailed by businesses around the world – including face-to-face soft skills training and development sessions.
In spite of these restrictions, time otherwise consumed by travel and face-to-face meetings is now available – and presents is an excellent opportunity to “sharpen the saw”.
Accordingly, your Great Demo! team is available for virtual training and coaching sessions for those new to Great Demo! as well as for existing Great Demo! alumni who wish to improve their practices.
Great Demo! Training for New Customers and New Teams
- Great Demo! Workshops: Workshops of varying lengths are being facilitated wonderfully over the web.
- Great Demo! Seminars: Introductory Seminars are an excellent way to stimulate and begin change – and virtual delivery is a terrific option.
- Coaching: Introducing and implementing Great Demo! for individuals and small groups is easily done over the web.
Contact us at Info@GreatDemo.com to discuss any of these options.
Great Demo! Coaching for Alumni
These next few months offer terrific opportunities to continue to develop team members’ skills through one-on-one or small group coaching, including:
Solidifying and Improving Great Demo! Fundamentals:
- Situation Slides creation, tuning and presentation
- Illustrations generation, presentation, and value communication
- Demo Role-play practice
- Managing Questions
Advanced Topics and Skills Building:
- Remote Demos discussion and role-play practice (See Great Connection! above – now more than ever!)
- Multiple Solutions and Complex Demos discussion, guidance, and role-play
- Storytelling and Making Demos Remarkable
- Managing POC’s
- RFP Response Demos
- Uncovering and Communicating Value
Contact us at Info@GreatDemo.com to discuss any of these possibilities to continue to improve your skills.
Upcoming and Past Events – Webinars, Podcasts, Recordings and More
Webinar Recording – The Competitive Play: Why, When, and How
“As presales professionals we deal with competition daily. Join presales veterans Peter Cohan, Nidhi Shah, and Marjorie Abdelkrime as they share stories and provide insights on how you can better manage (and outflank) your competition.
What you can expect to get out of the webinar:
- What to say (or not say) about your competition
- Some horror stories we’ve experienced
- Setting “land mines” (and exposing competitor’s)
- What if their product is really that much better – leveraging “whole product analysis”
- Navigating head-to-head evaluations”
You can find the recording here – enjoy!
Webinar Recording Available Soon – Stop Wasting Your Wasted Demos!
“50% of the leads you generate are qualified but are not ready to buy right now…!”
But research shows that demos are the number one type of information that buyers want from vendors.
- If you are in presales: How many “wasted” demos do you and your team deliver each week to prospects that are “just browsing”?
- If you are in sales: How many wasted sales calls consume your time each week with prospects that are “just browsing” and not yet in a buying process?
- If you are an SDR or BDR: How many prospects that have asked to see a demo tell you, “Yes, this is an active project” that turn out to be “just browsing”?
- If you are in marketing: How many “just browsing” prospects are turned away, never to return?
- And if you have ever been a prospect: How often were you put-off by vendors that wouldn’t show you a demo (and their website didn’t provide enough info to satisfy)?
We propose a new type of demo – Ignition! Demos – designed to engage the “just browsing” prospects and turn them into customers – while avoiding the waste.
Attend this webinar to learn:
- Why Ignition! Demos – and the Associated (Huge) Opportunity
- See an Ignition! Demo Example
- Explore and Compare Strategy and Approaches, including
- No Touch
- Low Touch
- High Touch
The New Normal of B2B SaaS Sales – Webinar Recordings
Great Demo!’sPeter Cohan joined DemoDesk’s CEO Veronika Riederle for a two-part interview.
Part 1 focused on, “There is no business that is exempt from the impact that COVID-19 has had on the world. Some more than others. But what about doing discovery calls? How have they been affected?” Topics included:
- How has the Discovery process changed with COVID?
- What mistakes do sales teams typically make when leading up to a demo?
- Can questions take the place of empathy in Discovery conversations?
Part 2 addressed the new concept of Ignition Demos and explored:
- What are Ignition Demos?
- Why should you use Ignition Demos?
- How can you best use Ignition Demos?
You can find the recordings here.
Great Demo! on SalesClass.ai
Great Demo!’s Peter Cohan has been asked to serve as a founding “Coach” on SalesClass.ai (“Through live experiences to on-demand content, Up Level your sales skills to the next level of professionalism and performance.”) – and joined the SalesClass.ai team for this introductory webinar. We discussed the “three populations” and presented Seven Habits for Stunningly Successful Demos.
You can find the recording here.
Demo Horror Stories – Friday Fun Podcast
Peter Cohan joined the fine folks at “Tripping Over the Barrel” to explore life, liberty, and the pursuit of demo horror stories. We discussed best and worst demo practices, richly illustrated with a delightful selection of horror stories, touching (lightly) on:
- The Great Demo! Origins Story (yes, there is one)
- Doing Discovery
- Vision Generation Demos
- Technical Proof Demos
- Buying It Back
- The Menu Approach
- Fewest Number of Clicks
- Speaker Switches
- Making Your Demo a Conversation
- Setup Mode
You can find this fun, yet extremely useful podcast here – Episode 13.
DEMOFEST 2020 Sessions Recordings
The recordings of Peter Cohan’s “7 Habits for Stunningly Successful Demos” presentation and Julie Hansen’s “Acting Tips for Connecting On-Camera” as well the other DEMOFEST sessions and the final panel discussion are available here: https://tinyurl.com/yahoeofo.
In 7 Habits for Stunningly Successful Demos we explored data-driven best practices (as opposed to opinions!):
- Why and what’s in this for you
- A (very brief) example of what Great looks like
- 7 Habits for Stunningly Successful Demos
- Some comments about demo metrics
- Avoiding “No Decisions”
- Some insights into Doing Discovery (as time allowed)
Acting Tips for Connecting On-Camera focused on:
- The secret to “being natural” on-camera
- How to create eye contact with your customer
- Why certain movements and gestures don’t work on-camera
- How to incorporate video into your demo
- And more!
Contact us at Info@GreatDemo.com if you’d like copies of the presentation materials.
Podcast Recording – Creating Customer Success
Yes, Great Demo! practices are equally important and applicable for folks in Customer Success. Peter Cohan joined the fine folks at Creating Customer Success, discussing key Great Demo! ideas as they apply post-sale, including how to connect presales and customer success teams in a simple, effective (and elegant) way to help customers achieve value as soon as possible.
You can find the recordings here:
Webinar Recording – “The Perfect Demo Environment – and Demoflow”
The team at Demoflow (a new and very intriguing presales tool) and Peter Cohan presented a two-in-one webinar on May, with first portion focusing on best practices for demo environments (including some rather surprising ideas) followed by an overview of Demoflow.
You can find the recording here.
Webinar Recording – “Getting to Great: Coaching for 7 Habits for Stunningly Successful Demos
You can find the recording here.
Traditional-average demos – and traditional-average demo delivery – today is simply insufficient. We introduced seven habits that correspond to (rather dramatic) increases in demonstration success and discussed how to coach your team or yourself to master these habits.
Play this webinar recording to:
- Learn “The 7 Habits of Stunningly Successful Demos” from speaker and author Peter Cohan to move your demo structure and delivery from traditional-average to stunningly successful – mapping to validated and proven best practices.
- See how to coach your team or yourself towards these specific skills and behaviors from Richard Smith, Co-Founder of Refract.ai.
Now is the perfect time to rethink your demos, retool your demo structure, and refine your demo delivery!
Webinar Recording – “Scaling Presales Effectiveness”
Peter Cohan joined John Care and Don Carmichael on March 26 when the fine folks at Consensus convened this panel in a “Scaling Presales Effectiveness” webinar. Click here for access to the recording.
And if you have specific questions or topics that weren’t addressed, please send them to us at Info@Greatdemo.com.
Webinar Recording: What is Presales Series:
Webinar #1 Presales is the secret to shorter sales cycles
Buyers want experts. In today’s world of product-led sales there has never been a bigger opportunity or risk in leveraging the presales team. The companies who can use their technology to tell a captivating story, while understanding the technical selling patterns that lead to deals, will simply grow faster than their peers.
- Learn “The 7 Habits of Stunningly Successful Demos” from speaker and author Peter Cohan to ensure you are engaging prospects, fast-tracking deals, and putting competitors on their heels from the first meeting.
- Learn how the data generated throughout the technical selling process can unlock secrets to shorten sales cycles from Vivun CEO Matt Darrow.
You can find the recording here.
Great Demo! Intro Webinar – Recording Available
The fine folks at Zoom hosted a webinar in which Peter Cohan provided an introduction to Great Demo! This 45 minute session explores several key concepts and addresses a number of intriguing audience questions – you can find the recording here.
Great Demo! Implementation-Enablement
1-Day Master Class
This class helps you dramatically accelerate the adoption and implementation of Great Demo! Participants generate the full set of foundation materials while reinforcing key elements of the methodology, enabling your team to put Great Demo! into practice right away! This class is the second step into implementing and mastering your Great Demo! framework.
Contact us for more information.
Great Connection! – Dramatically Increase Interactivity Over Zoom/WebEx/GoToMeeting
These 90- to 120-minute sessions for small groups will have you connecting and driving interaction with your audiences effectively and confidently.
- We’ll introduce and discuss the best practices and tips
- And each participant will put the ideas into practice in the session.
- The use of annotation tools
- Whiteboarding over the web
- Parking questions over the web
- Enabling audience members to drive or annotate
- The Pause button
- Improving your webcam interactions
- Pre-meeting set-up practices (e.g., checking latency and full screen mode)
- And (gently but firmly) pushing audiences for feedback and responses
And for those doing webinars or large sessions (with microphones muted):
- The use of the chat tools
- Using Q&A along the way
- Individual unmuting and muting of audience members
You’ll be able to put these skills to terrific use in your very next web demos and presentations – driving interactivity like you’ve never seen before!
Great Connection! Pragmatics
- We’ll use the tool you typically use (e.g., Zoom, WebEx, GoToMeeting)..
- Duration is 90-120 minutes (plus 10 minutes of set-up).
Contact us at Info@GreatDemo.com to book a Great Connection! session right away – because your ability to communicate successfully over the web is more important now than ever!
Wow! Great Demo! Graduate Wins Salesforce Demo Jam
“Very excited to share this – leveraging what we learned from our Great Demo! workshop a few years back, our team won the Salesforce Demo Jam at the recent world tour – we had 3 minutes to deliver (and encrispen) a high-level overview of our product, and the audience selected the winner!We’ve got a workshop coming up for our entire staff so we can keep this good stuff going, but this was a HUGE win for us that wouldn’t have been possible with what we learned from Great Demo!!”
Over 33,000 Copies of Great Demo!
We are amazed (and quietly proud) to report that well over 33,000 copies of Great Demo! have been purchased, including over 2600 Audiobooks (but not including re-sales of used copies or PDF’s that get passed around).
The question is now becoming: how well do you (and does your team) implement and practice the methodology?
The Great Demo! Methodology enables differentiation; the degree to which one applies the methodology determines the amount of differentiation!
Great Demo! Public Workshop opportunities now span the globe (well, nearly). Registration and additional information for these sessions can be found as follows:
- Our next North America Virtual Great Demo! Public is scheduled for May 18-21 – click here for registration information or contact Julie Hansen at Julie@ActingForSales.com for details.
- EMEA Virtual Great Demo! Public Workshop April 7-9 – SOLD OUT!
- The next EMEA Session is now scheduled for July 7-9 – click here for registration information or contact Natasja Bax at NBax@GreatDemo.com for details.
- North America East – Contact Art Fromm at AFromm@GreatDemo.com.
- North America Midwest – Contact Paul Pearce at PPearce@GreatDemo.com.
- North America West – Contact Julie Hansen at Julie@ActingForSales.com.
- Asia Pacific (Singapore, Australia, Japan, India, etc.) – Contact Nick Dorney at ND@Up2Speed.biz.
- Europe /EMEA– Contact Natasja Bax at NBax@GreatDemo.com.
- Other Dates/Locations – Contact Peter Cohan at PCohan@SecondDerivative.com if you have a desire for other dates and locations, or have questions.
Public Workshops are excellent opportunities for individuals, small groups or for teams that have new hires. They are typically 1.75-Day Workshops, with the first day focusing largely on core Great Demo! material and the second half or three-quarter day addressing more advanced topics and techniques.
Public Master Classes bring your team’s demo and Discovery skills to a truly outstanding level of practice:
– Take your team’s demos to the next level
– Develop high-performing Questioning and Discovery skills
– Master complex situations of multiple players and solutions
– Explore more challenging situations, beyond the “core” methodology
– Reward and provide incentive for your team overall
Master Classes are typically 1.5-Days in length. Participants are expected to have completed a Great Demo! Workshop previously.
Great Demo! LinkedIn Group and User Community – Now Over 7200 Members – Wow!
We have an active Great Demo! Group on LinkedIn – and you are welcome to join. There are now over 7200 members in the Group, many of whom are Great Demo! practitioners. We post topics and ideas for discussion, tips, and information on new tools. Group members are contributing their own thoughts, adding comments to existing dialogues and raising new topics.
We are working diligently to keep the Group as high-value a tool for the community as possible: Postings are monitored, members are vetted, and the Group is kept spam-free. We do encourage carefully selected job postings from vendors with openings (but not from recruiters) and individuals looking for new opportunities.
Think of the Group as an online Great Demo! User Community.
Great Demo! Book Accolades
As noted above over 32,500 copies of Great Demo! have been purchased by readers around the world, to date (including over 2500 copies of the Amazon Audiobook). Additionally, the book has been awarded the Reader’s Choice designation (twice!) by the publisher. Authors earn the Reader’s Choice award after receiving the Editor’s Choice designation and achieving large sales volumes. In addition to paperback, Kindle, Nook and PDF versions, Great Demo! is also available in audiobook format from Amazon – please note that the voice in the Audiobook is not that of Peter Cohan (he reads the book too fast for a good recording)! The Blog and Great Demo! LinkedIn Group are designed to provide an evergreen extension to the book – you are welcome to explore both – let us know if you’d like to see a 3rd edition to the book published.