If you are hungry for more recordings, here is a wonderful appetizer for you: Episode 66 – Champion Enablement.
From the Legumes:
“This episode Adam Freeman and Don Carmichael welcomes a very special guest, Peter Cohan. We talk about how to identify a Champion within a Buyer, what might be motivating them, and how their previous experience of buying Tech changes their approach. We look at whether it’s even a Sales Engineer/PreSales Consultants job to enable a Buyer champion or whether that’s just some Sales Execs do. We talk about how the definition of a Champion and where you find them in an organisation has changed in recent years. Focusing on the Enablement topic, we also discuss what a Champion might want from us, what we would want from them and how much we should be anticipating their needs.”
Here’s a more detailed breakdown of this 34-minute podcast:
- What is a champion?
- What are other terms for champions?
- Understanding prospects’ job titles…
- Types of champions…
- Buying simple tools vs complex solutions
- Lower-level champions
- Numbers and outcomes
- An example of one type of champion
- Another example: Technology Scouts
- Navigating the various political, cultural, and business landscapes
- Is cultivating champions a presales or sales responsibility?
- An example of a champion guiding a demo
- Who is enabling whom?
- “What can I do to help?”
- “Have you done this before?” “First-time or experienced buyer?” “First-time or experienced champion?”
- Even more types of champions and drivers – “Three camps”
- Guidance from a CFO – building the business case – and champion enablement
- Portfolio analysis vs single-point purchases
- FOMU: Fear Of Messing Up
- Adam’s villa in Spain…
- Vendor experience vs champion experience – some examples of proactive champion enablement – vendor onboarding, data/privacy surveys, security surveys, environmental impact assessments, diversity, etc.
- Customer Perception Is Everything! Letting your champion drive the demo
- A terrifically awful pun by Don
- Champion and Buyer Enablement summarized: Anticipating and proacting
- Influence mapping
- “Go be a customer!” And “Would you buy the way you sell?”
Grab a bite here!